Why should you clean a chimney?

It is more important than you think.

When wood burns it produces unburned by products of incomplete combustion. They travel up the chimney in the form of smoke, some going out into the atmosphere (pollution), and the rest collect on the inside of the chimney when the gases cool as "creosote".

The normal temperature inside a chimney when exhausting wood smoke is 300 to 500 degrees. However, when dangerous levels of creosote build up in the flue, (this level may be as small as 1/8 inch) and a chimney fire occurs, the temperature can increase to 1500 - 2000 degrees.

These dangerously high temperatures can cause flue liners to crack or shatter, metal chimney liners to buckle or split open, chimneys may split open, and the thermal shock created by the instant jump in temperature can blow bricks out of a chimney.

With the integrity of the chimney compromised there is a chance that your home could catch on fire.

Many times chimney fires can start in the attic where you don't see it until it's too late. Chimney fires can also cause flaming creosote to fly out of your chimney top and on to your roof or adjacent trees.

The best way to prevent a chimney fire and damage to your chimney or home is to have your chimney cleaned. The Fire brigade recommends that if you use your chimney a lot you should have it cleaned twice a year.

Our services

  • Chimney sweeping
  • Chimney cowls
  • Chimney pots fitted
  • Brush and vacuum
  • Clean & efficient service
  • Covering Exeter and East Devon

Testimonials

To CB Chimneys,
Thank you very much for the excellent job you did for us and leaving everything so nicely clean and tidy.

Mrs Dunne - WOODBURY

Dear Steve,

Thank you so much for a great job done. We have enjoyed our first log fires over the Christmas holidays, well done!

Mr Perkins - EXTON

Dear Mr Cornish,

You will be pleased to know that the wood-burner is working very efficiently, no smoke!

Many Thanks

Mrs Roberts - KERSBROOK

Dear Mr Cornish,

Thank you so much for your help and advice with the chimney and wood-burner. I can't believe you were up on a roof in this foul weather but there you were on a wet roof on a very windy day. My neighbour was also very pleased with her chimney after you had swept it.

Thanks also for just being very straight forward to deal with so refreshing. I will recommend you to friends.

Thanks again

Mrs Ranger - HARPFORD 

  Business van
Be safe, get your chimney cleaned  today.
Phone us now: 01395 201764
Share by: